On your Mac computer, you can work on multiple iMovie projects at once, and easily save them once you’re finished.
Apple‘s iMovie allows you to build a project from the pre-downloaded trailer templates, or make a new movie to compile videos from a family vacation or birthday party. Once a project is complete, you can save it to your files, whether it’s a specific folder or directly to your desktop.
To save an iMovie project to your Mac, you can select the “Files” option after clicking “Share Project” in the “Projects” tab. You can also select the same option the dropdown menu.
Here’s how to do both.
1. Open iMovie on your Mac.
2. Select an ongoing project from the “Projects” tab. You can also start a new project by clicking the plus (+) option and selecting a trailer template or starting a new freeform movie.
3. If the project you want to save is already complete, click on the three dots to the right of its name and select “Share Project” from the pop-up list.
4. Select “File” from the bottom of the list. The other options allow you to share the project directly through email or social media, but sharing to “File” will directly save a copy to your Mac. Sharing to “Theater” will only save the project to iMovie, and you won’t be able to access it anywhere else on your computer.
5. This will open a pop-up with options to customize your saved video. You can add a description and tags, along with adjusting the resolution and quality. Check the “Add to Theater” box if you want to view your movie in the “Theater” tab.
6. Click “Next…”
7. iMovie will then prompt you to choose a file name and location. Enter a file name next to “Save As” and choose a location next to “Where” — a specific folder or your desktop.
8. Click “Save” to complete the process.
1. You can also access this same pop-up from within the iMovie project. Click to open a project or create a new one.
2. Once you’ve completed the project, navigate to the “File” tab in the toolbar at the top of the app. This will be the first option to the right of the Apple icon and bolded “iMovie” settings.
3. Select “Share” from the drop-down menu.
4. Select “File.” This will open the pop-up to save the project on your Mac computer.