Have you tried screencasting? Or are you an adept user and want to upgrade your experience with a new tool? We researched and compared the 13 best screen recording software for Windows (both free and paid) to help you find an ideal fit for your specific needs and present them for you here.
While various screen capture tools differ in price and functionality, most share a number of features, such as:
- adjustable video frame
- cut-and-paste editing options
- unlimited recording time
Which tool should you use to make an effective video tutorial, create an eLearning course, market your business to online customers, or even record a new maneuver in your favorite game? This shortlist provides everything you need to make an informed decision and start creating.
Free Screen Recording Software that Saves Money
Whether you’ve paid for numerous software after using trial versions and received nowhere close to the bang for your buck that was anticipated, or you’re looking to save some money, there are plenty of free screen recorders that can get the job done with satisfying results without emptying your pocket. A word of caution though: some software companies may require a paid upgrade after you download their “free” tool.
We compiled seven outstanding and safe, free screen recorders that successfully compete with the best paid screen recording tools.
1. Free Cam
Free Cam is a very simple free screen recorder with a built-in audio/video editor. The attractive and intuitive interface allows you to create screencasts with the ease of a professional. Even though this software is free, it doesn’t place any watermark and is ad-free.
- No watermark, time limits, or ads
- Records voice-overs and computer sounds
- High-quality resolution
- Users can save videos as WMV or upload them directly to YouTube
- Easily deletes unwanted video fragments
- Removes background noise
- Wide selection of audio effects
- Saves recordings to WMV only
- No webcam recording
Watch this demo to see what you can do with Free Cam:
2. DVDVideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder
Free Screen Video Recorder is a full-featured but lightweight free screen recorder from a developer known for its free conversion software. It can record Skype conversations with no limitations and is therefore useful for Skype interviews and online conference calls. Also, different Windows applications can be singled out and captured as discrete elements. Included is a basic user-friendly image editor that is surprisingly helpful for attaining a polished look.
- Offers a convenient screenshot feature
- Different modes for recording screen and video
- Suitable for recording Skype conversations
- Step-by-step instructions provided on the website
- Available in 10 languages
- Output formats include MP4, BMP, TGA, JPEG, PNG, and GIF
- Microphone sound recording only
- Excessive ads may interrupt your work
- Saves recordings to AVI only
- Lacks coherent interface and built-in media player
- May install unwanted software during download
- Does not notify users if disconnection occurs
Here’s a video on how to capture your screen with Free Screen Video Recorder:
ShareX is an open-source ad-free tool that boasts almost as many custom features as some paid software screen recorders. ShareX is mostly targeted toward developers and power users, so an average customer might get lost in the many advanced tools and editors.
- Records full screen, window, monitor, region, freehand, or scrolling
- Incorporates hotkeys for easier and quicker navigation
- Supports many URL sharing services
- Imports existing videos, music, or photos
- Allows custom watermarks and color effects
- Low quality of game recording
- Complicated for the average user
- No webcam recording
- Reported to fail while uploading large files
- No video editor
Learn more about ShareX from this video:
CamStudio is a good choice for one-time or occasional users with minimal editing needs. This lightweight, open-source screen recording software creates videos in AVI format that can later be converted to SWF. While its compactness appeals to some, others call for further development and increased technical support.
- Creates a screen-in-screen video
- Allows you to create small-sized files
- Custom cursor
- Quality options available for output video
- Reported to spread harmful viruses and malware
- Outputs only to AVI with a conversion to Flash
- Output is incompatible with certain browsers
- Audio falls out of sync
- Lack of interactive and animation features
To explore how to use CamStudio, watch this video:
Ezvid claims to be the world’s easiest screen recorder, and that may not be too far from the truth. Ezvid’s clarity is enhanced by the product’s speed: specifically designed to save users’ time, it will help you produce and upload videos directly to YouTube in a matter of minutes. That is why the tool enjoys notoriety among gamers and movie fans who are interested in frequently making video clips in the quickest manner possible.
- Offers computer-generated speech for narrative purposes
- Automatic high-quality resolution (1280 x 720p HD)
- Speed control over output videos
- Sleek and modern interface
- Instantaneous upload to YouTube
- Selection of popular music tracks included
- Reviewers report extraneous noise
- Minor bugs and inconsistencies
- Fullscreen game is not available
TinyTake by MangoApps is a sophisticated screen recorder that allows you to capture images and videos from your computer screen, add comments, and share them with others in minutes. TinyTake comes with an online cloud-based gallery where you can store all your screen captures and recorded videos.
- Bulk file sharing
- Public URL available for sharing
- Built-in online file viewer for images, videos, and documents
- Allows you to create custom shortcut keys
- Video player is compatible with mobile devices
- Free version has a 5-minute limit for video recording
- Video files are saved as MP4 only
- Limited editing features
Here’s a video on how to use TinyTake for recording videos: