You can free up space on your PS5 by deleting games
Every PlayStation 5 owner should know how to delete games from their console. On the box, the PS5 advertises 825GB of SSD space, but only 667GB of that is usable after factoring in system files.
With next-generation games taking up increasingly large amounts of space on the PS5, you’re likely to hit the storage limit sooner rather than later.
Fortunately, deleting games on the PlayStation 5 is an easy process that can be done within minutes if you have the right instructions. The game file sizes are listed next to each title, so you can quickly figure out which titles are taking up your storage space.
Since save files are stored separately, you can always reinstall the games and continue where you left off at a later date.
Also, remember that you can expand your PS5’s storage by connecting an external hard drive. Despite this, PS5 games must be installed on the main drive to boot, even if you can play backward-compatible PS4 titles. If you can’t bring yourself to part with your games, you can still use the external drive as a library.
What Are the Benefits of Using the PlayStation App to Delete Games?
This might seem like a non-feature on the surface. Despite that, it is incredibly useful, especially if you’re the type who likes to play new purchases as soon as possible.
Imagine you have exceeded the storage capacity of your M.2 SSD. A game you added to your PlayStation wish list is half price when you check the PlayStation app at work. Upon returning home, you purchase the game. When you check your storage, it is full, so you cannot remotely download the game via the PlayStation app at this time.
Here’s how to delete games from PS5 if you’re ready to start making cuts.
Identify space hogs on PS5 before you delete games
1. Navigate to the Settings menu on the PS5. On the home screen, select the cog icon in the top right corner of the screen to access this.
2. Scroll down to the Storage option in the Settings menu. That’s the seventh item on the list.
3. When you visit the Storage screen, you’ll see what’s using up most of your PS5’s space. Select your games and apps to see what is taking up the most space on your internal SSD.
Remove unwanted games from the PS5:
1. Games & Apps displays a list of all the PS4 and PS5 games you have installed. As a default, it’s arranged so that the games you played most recently are displayed first.
Make a list of the items you want to delete and check them off. Since we are removing Worms Rumble in this tutorial, we have checked the box to the left of its icon and title.
2. Once you have selected all the games you want to remove from your PS5, press the Delete button in the bottom right corner.
3. You will be asked if you are sure you want to delete the selected games. Wait for the games to be removed from the SSD after you confirm that you are.
Wait until the progress bar indicates that the deletion process has been completed before turning off your PS5.
With the PlayStation App, you can delete games from your PS5 M.2
Using the smartphone app, you can delete games easily. To complete these steps, you’ll need the PlayStation app on your smartphone. If you don’t already have it, download it now.
- Rest mode should be enabled on your PS5. You should follow this step very carefully. You must put your PS5 into Rest Mode before you can delete any game files from the M.2. Once you put it into Rest Mode, the operation will not be performed.
- Download the PlayStation app to your phone or tablet.
- Go to Settings (the cog symbol near the top right corner of the screen)
- You can view your PS5’s storage options by tapping Storage.
- The Console Storage page will default to being displayed by your app. Click M.2 SSD.
- Click the circular checkbox to the right of the title to select the game or games you’d like to delete. There is a handy file size indicator next to each game, so you can see how many you need to delete to make room for a new one.
- The bottom of the screen will display a prompt that states Delete [X] Game[s]. Choose that option.
- If you choose to delete, the app will ask you “Are you sure?” Tap Delete.
- Now, the games you selected will disappear from your M.2 SSD.
What Happens If You Delete a Game by Accident?
Don’t worry if you accidentally deleted a game (perhaps you tapped the wrong checkbox or something), you can easily get it back. So you won’t have to spend the rest of the day at work in a panic because you accidentally deleted your favorite game, you can do this from the app.
Simply go to the Game Library section at the bottom of the home page on the PlayStation app. Tap the thumbnail of the game you accidentally deleted. The listing will appear on the app-based PlayStation Store and you will have to tap Download to Console to download the game, ensuring your PS5 is the linked console beneath it.
In a few moments, your game will be back on your console. Even if you delete a game, your save data will remain intact (you’d need to manually remove the save data), so deleting the game itself won’t affect your progress. You can start playing again immediately.
This isn’t a difficult process, and deleting games this way can be handy if you’re heading straight to the PS5 the minute you walk through the door. Extending storage on the PS5 is a significant feature, so make sure you understand all of its benefits.