How to allow people to share your post on Facebook without changing your account settings
- You can allow people to share your post on Facebook without changing the privacy settings on your actual account.
- You can do this by changing the privacy settings on the post itself.
- If you have an important message you want to get out, or want to share something you created with the world, sharing your post on Facebook would be an effective way to do so.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’re the type of person who often makes long, informative posts on Facebook, you’ve probably gotten the request, “Can you make this shareable?,” a few times before.
Facebook’s sharing feature is a great way to allow folks to spread posts, in their entirety, from the original source, instead of just reposting.
People share posts for all kinds of reasons: Maybe it contains an encouraging message, or gives information about a serious issue that many people are unaware of. Maybe it talks about an event that’s going on, or asks people for help with a GoFundMe for a good cause. No matter what the reason or what the post, allowing people to share them always works the same way.
Here’s how to allow people to share your post on Facebook.
How to allow people to share your post on Facebook on a computer
1. Find the post you want to make shareable and click the three dots in the upper right corner.
2. In the little pop up menu, click “Edit Post.”
Click the three dots and then “Edit Post.” Melanie Weir/Business Insider
3. At the bottom of the post pop-up, next to the “Save” button, click the drop-down menu to bring up the post’s privacy settings.
4. From the menu, select “Public,” then click Save.
Click “Public.” Melanie Weir/Business Insider
How to allow people to share your post on Facebook on a mobile device
1. Find the post you want to make shareable and tap the three dots in the upper right corner.
Find the post, then tap the three dots in the corner. Melanie Weir/Business Insider
2. In the pop-up menu, tap “Edit Privacy.”
Tap “Edit Privacy.” Melanie Weir/Business Insider
3. In the “Privacy” menu, tap the checkbox next to “Public,” then tap “Done” in the upper right corner of the screen.
Tap “Public”, then tap “Done.”
When I post something on Facebook, how do I choose who can see it?
- At the top of your News Feed or timeline, click What’s on your mind? From here, you can do things like post a status update, photo, video or check in to an event.
- Below your name, click the audience selector (example: Friends).
- Click the audience you’d like to see your content (example: Friends, Public or Only Me). Learn more about the audiences you can choose on Facebook.
The audience selector will also appear on things you’ve already shared, so you can see who you’ve shared each post with. After you’ve shared a post, you have the option to change who it’s shared with.When sharing on Facebook, keep in mind:
- Some things you share on Facebook will always be public. For example, when you post or comment in a public group, your post or comment will be public and can be seen by anyone. Learn more about public information on Facebook.
- When you select an audience for your post, the audience selector will use the same audience when you share a post again unless you change it. For example, if you choose Public for something you’re posting right now, your next post will also be Public.
- When you change the audience on one device, the audience will update on all devices. For example, if you change the audience of your post on your computer, it will also change the audience of your post in your app.
- Your post will show up in News Feed, on your profile and in search results.
- When you post to another person’s timeline, that person controls who can see the post.
- When you post, people in the audience may be able to see it across the Facebook Products.
- If you tag someone in a post, the tagged person’s friends may also see the post.
- If you’ve chosen to lock your profile, your sharing choices are more restricted.
Other ways to manage who can see your content:
- Review and update your privacy settings for your profile and timeline.
- Limit who can see your past posts.
- Go to your Activity Log to review your posts and things you’ve been tagged in.
- Visit your Timeline and Tagging settings to manage things like who can see what other people post on your timeline and review who can see content you’re tagged in.